The death toll from a volcanic eruption in Indonesia’s Semeru volcano has risen to 34. The country’s national disaster agency has confirmed the information. They further said that emergency assistance was being provided to the areas affected by the eruption.
Abdul Muhari, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Authority, told AFP that at least 34 people had been killed and 16 were missing.
About 3,600 people have been evacuated from the affected areas.
The eruption of Mount Semeru erupted in the Indonesian province of Java last Saturday. The houses of the villages are almost covered by the ash of the volcano. Due to this thousands of panicked people started fleeing from their homes.
Several video footage captured the eruption of Mount Semeru volcano, sending huge plumes of ash into the area, forcing locals to flee.
The catastrophic disaster has left ashes on roads, vehicles and homes. Rescue workers, police and members of the military are trying to rescue the victims.
Several people say they have not yet found the bodies of their relatives. Because, the identity of some bodies has not been identified yet.
The eruption started at around 2.30 pm local time on December 4. Authorities have imposed restrictions on public movement within a five-kilometer radius of the volcano.
There are a total of 130 living volcanoes in Indonesia. One of them is Mount Semeru.